Sunday, December 28, 2008

What Did You Get For Christmas (Assuming You Celebrate)?

I scored some great gifts this year from the wife for Christmas. Awwwww yeah. I won't list everything, but here are a few things. By the way, ladies, don't fret. I took care of her too, I swear.

-The Dark Knight. Love this movie, as evidenced by my defense of it.

-Step Brothers. This is my favorite Will Ferrell comedy. John C. Reilly is a scream in this one too, every bit as good as Ferrell with the laughs. Believe it or not, I first saw this at the theater with my mother-in-law. It was quite an interesting experience to see her laughing hysterically when Ferrell put his _____ on Reilly's drum set.

-All the President's Men. A great, great movie. I always thought Redford was a little overrated as an actor, until I saw this one.

-There Will Be Blood. Sorry all you lovers of No Country for Old Men, but this one should have been awarded Best Pic for 2007. DDL gives the most ferocious performance of his career.

-The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension. Calling all you children of the 80s. Who remembers this one? With Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Barkin, Christopher Lloyd, Clancy Brown. Weller stars as Banzai, a surgeon, astrophysicist, rock star who gets embroiled in an interdimensional struggle when...oh, the plot doesn't matter. And sadly, the rumors that Big Trouble in Little China was originally intended as a sequel to this aren't true.

-Mad Men Season One. I only caught a few episodes on AMC during its run, but I really enjoyed them. Can't wait to watch it from start to finish.

-The Great Train Robbery (novel). During my Crichton phase when I was thirteen or fourteen, I stayed away from this book. I shouldn't have. Crichton's attention to detail and solid research make this a lot of fun and a quick read. Now I can't wait to see the film, which he also directed.

No comments: