I can't take credit for this list, but it was too good not to post. Special thanks to Rongo Jugataris for this one.
1) The PGA doesn't have some of its golfers in jail every week.
2) Golfers don't throw bottles at or kick dirt on other people.
3) Professional golfers are paid in direct proportion to how well they play.
4) Golfers don't get per diem and two seats on a charter flight when they travel between tournaments.
5) Golfers don't hold out for more money, or demand new contracts, because of another player's deal.
6) Professional golfers don't demand that the taxpayers pay for the courses on which they play.
7) When golfers make mistakes, no one is there to cover for them or back them.
8) The PGA raises more money for charity in 1 season than the NFL does in 2 seasons.
9) You can watch the best golfers in the world, up close, at any tournament including the majors, all day every day for $25 or $30. (I'm a bit skeptical about this price, but I'm too lazy to do any research this morning.)
10) Even in the nose bleed sections, a ticket to the Super Bowl will cost you over $300 to $1000 from a scalper.
11) In golf you cannot fail 70% of the time and make 9 million dollars a season, like the best baseball hitters (.300 batting average) do.
12) Golf courses don't ruin the neighborhood.
13) And best of all, here's why golf courses have 18 holes, instead of 10 or 20: During a discussion among the club's membership board at St. Andrews in 1858, a senior member pointed out that it takes exactly 18 shots to polish off a fifth of Scotch. By limiting himself to only one shot of Scotch per hole, the Scot figured a round of golf was finished when the Scotch ran out.
Here's my two cents:
-Golf is the only game where there are no referees, officials, or umpires. Players are expected to, and always do, call penalties on themselves.
-Golf is one of the few remaining sports that demands players be both gracious in defeat and humble in victory.
1 week ago