Friday, October 24, 2008

Prosopagnosia

From www.dictionary.com:

prosopagnosia - pros·o·pag·no·sia (prŏs'ə-pāg-nō'zhə, -zē-ə)n. An inability or difficulty in recognizing familiar faces; it may be congenital or result from injury or disease of the brain.

About eight months ago, I was surprised to learn that such a condition existed. I went online and did a little bit of research and was engrossed by some of the stories and facts I came across. I started thinking--wouldn't that make for an interesting character, someone who has never been able to recognize anyone, including family, close friends, teachers, etc.

So I had a character. Then I needed a plot. I started hashing one out about six months ago, and it's since gone through several major changes. But I'm excited to say that the first draft of Face Blind (I know, I need a better title) is near completion. If you get a chance, check out the wikipedia entry on face blindness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_blindness. It's extremely interesting.

Oh, and go Phils!

No comments: