Friday, September 9, 2011

Do The Amish Play Golf?

For all my life, this question has plagued me. But after spending a few days in Lancaster County with the family, I now know that yes, they do. They don't use clubs; they use "bats."

Not only do they play golf, but apparently they have no qualms with using a golf cart either. I was told this is permissible because technically they do not own the cart; renting or borrowing or leasing such a contraption is perfectly acceptable under the rules.

Bear in mind I've done zero research on this. I'm just repeating what I was told by a fellow non-Amish guy who's lived in Lancaster County for several years after we spotted an Amish foursome on the course.

5 comments:

seana graham said...

I think once I hear that you have actually played against some Amish, I will give your report more credibility...

Nathanael Green said...

So, does this mean that the Amish also play baseball? But with clubs instead of bats?

Brian O'Rourke said...

Seana -

I know eyewitness testimony is inherently scientifically unreliable, but still I saw the golfing Amish with my own eyes.

For what that's worth.

Brian O'Rourke said...

Nate -

I try to avoid the philosophical trappings of questions like these. I'm still wondering why we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway.

seana graham said...

I have to say I'm glad they have some fun. I know they must, but it's never portrayed that way.

Golf wouldn't have been my first suspicion, though.