Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'll Pass On The Beer Pong; I Didn't Bring My Kevlar

Competitive endeavors tend to bring out the best and the worst in man. On the one hand, you get teamwork, class, and athleticism that is beautiful to behold, like the Boston Celtics' unbelievable run between 1957 - 1969 and the Bulls' dynasty of the '90s which was briefly interrupted by Jordan's first of many retirements. On the other hand, you get soccer riots, players with egos large enough to have their own gravitational pulls, and fans that resort to the worst kind of mob mentality creating and almost relishing in that utterly pointless us v. them mindset.

But who could have thought a harmless game like beer pong could end like this? Now I understand that combining competition and alcohol is probably not the best idea, but what the hell kind of argument over beer pong could end in a fatal shooting?

8 comments:

seana graham said...

I'd say that it's more alcohol and guns that don't mix in that story, Brian. If they'd just kept playing beer pong till they passed out, both would have lived to play another tournament.

Nathanael Green said...

Seana,

I love your suggestion!

So, the lesson to the story? Never, ever stop playing beer pong.

Brian O'Rourke said...

As per usual, Seana is the voice of reason on this and on many other blogs :)

Nate,

Is there a drinking game for The Beastmaster? How about any time Tanya Roberts appears in a scene?

Nathanael Green said...

This may sound odd, but I don't know if I want to drink while watching the movies.

I'm looking for an honest critique, and I'm afraid that which ever I watch second might get some additional liquid praise.

On the other hand ... it is just campy 80s movies. Maybe drink every time Dar screeches at the hawk? And during Krull every time Ynyr frowns?

seana graham said...

Yes, the moral to this and pretty much every other story is Never, Ever Stop Playing Beer Pong. At least while you can still stand up right.

And my apologies in advance to Jenna for taking this stance.

Brian O'Rourke said...

Nate,

I suppose you'll have to be like General Sternwood and indulge your vices by proxy, because I will be imbibing.

As you used to say, "in vino est veritas...and there's something in beer too."

Brian O'Rourke said...

Seana,

I'm definitely going to tell Jenna you encouraged me to drink more :-)

seana graham said...

I'm somehow suspecting that she won't find my encouragement the chief motivation here. But do be sure to add that I gave all that good advice about the guns.


Hmm, the word vericator appears to have got religion all of a sudden. V word is 'bless'