Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Philadelphia Marathon

Well, I'm a mere 7 weeks away from running the Philadelphia Marathon. This race will be my second 26.2 miler--I can't believe the last one was four years (and fifteen pounds) ago.

This time around, the training hasn't gone as well as it did before. I've had a couple non-serious, but nagging, injuries over the past three months that have kept things interesting. Today I put in 17 miles, much to the consternation of everyone else trying to use a treadmill at the gym. Just kidding--there were always at least six other treadmills open while I was running. I'm not THAT guy.

This will be my first time running Philly, so I'm excited about that. I hear nothing but good things about the race, and especially about the crowd. I've been told that some of the more enthused crowd members have been known to offer beer to runners during the race. Probably not the best idea in the world, but in all fairness, I can think of a lot of worse ideas. You know, like the submarine with screen doors, the helicopter with an ejection seat...

I'm also excited about this race because my wife and two good friends, Nate and Jess (who are married), are doing the 10K offered on the same day.

That's all for now. Back to the couch, where I'll probably stay the rest of the day, save but the few times I plod my way to the fridge to grab another water. And if I just so happen to grab a beer by mistake...

No comments: